Senior Year

Junior Year

Our analytical cubist still life painting began with a still life. Using our non dominant hand in a barbaric fashion, we began thumbnail drawings of a still life created by Mr. LeClair. After doing so, we chose our most compositionally interesting thumbnail  to begin our final piece. After having progressed from the sketching phase, we began putting washes of acrylic paint on paper to create gradient tonal portions. We were restricted to a palette of one neutral brown and one cool color. With time, multiple layers of washes became present to create various interactions of color and form that made up our compositions. After several layers, we had our final product.

Using my non dominant hand proved itself to be anything but a burden. The experience was pleasant, and I achieved a rather neat composition out of it. I can’t necessarily state any successes that I found personally, but peers are always kind in sharing their opinion. One fellow student thought that my creation was intriguing, in a way that she was able to make out different shapes in objects through what she saw. By taking a step back and seeing my work through her eyes I am also able to see the novelty in what I created.

Painting is always a challenge for me. Regardless of the media,  canvas, or object; I find difficulty.  This particular project was difficult to remain focused on. I enjoy anatomy and a still life is far from that. I was out of my comfort zone, and no one enjoys being uncomfortable. However, I was able to finish my project on time, regardless of my personal feelings towards it. My peers were rather quiet during my critique and had little to say negatively towards my work, which may or may not be a good thing. I myself can always pick apart my own work.

My artistic goal has moved from illustration to animation. I would love to create animated movies and characters. This project gave me an in depth look of form , as well as gradient tones. Working with a limited palette and creating all the different forms and and colors will prove itself to be invaluable to  me at some point, I am sure. Almost any experience will be good experience in the end.

Sophomore Year

Work from tenth grade Color Theory Class

Freshman Year

This is a drawing of the mushed up paperbag again using the hatcing and cross hatching method. We did it on black paper and used white graphite pencils.

Final Grade - 97