Summer Reading- Senior Year

TheGoodEarthSR_Segee (1).docx (Actual Essay)

FocusedReadingandViewingGuide_Segee.doc

ElementsofliteratureGO_Segee.doc

ElementsoffilmGO_Segee.doc

This year's seniors were assigned to read a novel that has been turned into a motion picture. Student’s books were selected based on student interest as well as our lexile levels reported by the most recent NWEA reading test. We were required to write an essay examining the similarities and differences between the film and novel. It was the student’s responsibility to find the movie to watch over the summer. Our assignment of a five paragraph essay had to describe three major differences between the novel  and its cinematic counterpart. We were sure to use specific examples by citing detailed quotes from the book and scenes from the film.

Some questions we were expected to answer included: Which changes work to make a better story? -and- What elements are lacking? (A focused Reading and Viewing Guide had to be filled out as well.) In order to receive bonus points, we were challenged to use vocabularly specific to film. If the words:narrative, motif, mise-en-scene, setting, costume/makeup were all used correctly, we would receive two bonus points for each correct use.

I used Microsoft Office to create my essay after utilizing several graphic organizers and a viewing guide. I feel that my final product is a good example of my work though ones work can always be better. In the future I plan to work on time management. 

These items will be our first grade for film class in the fall of the 2013-2014 school year.