I am Samantha Segee, my relationship with art began when I started High School. It wasn’t until the year prior that I felt any real connection to creating. As the passion to do so grew, so did I. In my free time I studied art styles and artists and my world view took on new perspectives. These four years have taught me techniques I’ve never heard of before; some even opened new doors for my art. My fourth and final Arts Night has arrived and I am ready to show what was on the other side of the doors.

A love for the human figure has always guided me in what I create; this fact is hopefully reflected in my concentration portfolio. With the motivation of establishing my respect for anatomy, my concentration consists of portraits. These portraits depict models that have acted as muses for me throughout these four years. Each piece was inspired by each separate person and utilizes a learnt technique. The techniques range from crosshatching in my freshman year to independently learning how to use gold leaf as a senior. I want my art to be a muse for others as these people have inspired me.

I haven’t made as much room in my future for art as I would’ve liked to. I plan on attending college for the sake of eventually becoming a neurosurgeon. However, I do have the backup plan of going into medical illustration. Even as I pursue art as an unexpected job or as a hobby that gets me through the day, I plan on continually learning and growing my skill set. Anyone can make art, but it takes patience to create something to love. I will have patience with my future and whatever I create will be what I love.