Jacqueline Flaherty reflection monolgue.docx

In my intro to theater class, my classmates and I were assigned to recite a monologue. Our monologues had to be of a person of the same sex, and close age range. You could either choose yours from a book or online, so I chose to find a monologue off line. I finally found a monologue that was the same gender and age range as me and decided to do it. My monologue was called “The Prodigal Daughter”, which is about a girl whose mother just passes away after suffering from an illness, and her “prodigal” sister returns, but only for money. The daughter who has taken care of their ill mother this whole time is furious, and wants nothing to do with her sister. This monologue was a challenge for me because it involves a lot of anger and yelling, which I am not used to. If I could have done this project again, I would have picked a different monologue that fitted me more.

On this project I received an 88. I thought that this grade was fair, because I could have done a much better job with expressing my characters feelings. I had a lot of trouble getting into character, because it was such an angry and forceful monologue which I am not used to. Some of my teacher’s comments also helped me self asses. One comment that I know I could have worked more on, was practicing on who I was speaking to, whether it were the audience or another character or even myself. Other than those few problems that I had, I think that I did rather well on my monologue and I am very proud of myself since it was the first one I have ever done!