This year for sophomore theater arts night, the class had to incorporate levels, tempo, speed, repetition and ensemble work into our performance. Our teacher Miss.Souza put all the students to work, to come up with ideas on how we could put together our arts night, while incorporating all the things we have been working on in class. We paired up into small groups and made list of ideas we had that we thought would work well for our arts night. The class wanted to do something that would be memorable and impacting to the audience. After about a week on brainstorming ideas, we finally had out layout of what was going to be our sophomore theater arts night.

For the intro of the show, student walked onstage from three different sections of the stage. Each student recited a line as they entered the stage such as “You’re giving me grey hair”, “You’ll understand”, etc. All of the lines are often directed to teenagers by their parents. After the intro, student performed mini skits in groups of three that displayed different situations teenagers face. An example of this would be “breaking school rules”. Throughout the skits, students used different levels by making sure someone in the group was always sitting, kneeling and standing. Lastly, to close the show the class ended with an ensemble piece, dancing to the song “It’s Time” by Imagine Dragons. The piece was created to be a tabloid of all different stereotypes of teenagers, such as the goths, nerds, jocks and cheerleaders. Underneath our costumes we all had white t-shirts on that stated a flaw of ours of the front which showed how each and everyone one of us is different and unique in our own way. At the end of the song everyone joined together as one and showed the audience ours flaws. Our statement line for the show was “It’s time”, showing that it’s never too late and that you should stay true to yourself and never change who you are.

In the begging when the class was trying to put together Arts Night I wasn’t too thrilled about the idea of performing in front of everyone. However, once we rehearsed more and everything was coming together I felt very confident about the show. Come the day of Arts night I was pumped and excited to show the audience what I and the rest of the class had been working so hard on for the past couple of weeks. I think that the show went amazing! Everyone in the class gave their 110% into the performance which really showed. The t-shirt idea was really impacting to the audience and even made a few people cry. If I could have changed one thing about the show I would have spent more time developing the skits and would have come up with a better skit for my group to perform. Overall though I think everyone really worked together to put on an amazing arts night.