This year for my sophomore year at Beacon Charter High School, I performed many different acts of community service. This included, helping out with the children’s program at the public housing authority in Pawtucket, living statues, and volunteering at a horse sanctuary. During the summer I worked as a vista at the public housing authority where I helped arrange different programs and activities for the children in their summer program. Activities included taking the children to public housing Authority Park in Prospect, where games such as basketball, Frisbee, and baseball took place. Also, arts and craft activities were set up in the community room, where children were able to draw pictures, paint and make collages. Each day of the summer program, the children would receive a healthy and nutritional breakfast and lunch. I completed a total amount of ten hours this summer through this amazing program where I was able to help and interact with kids that are less fortunate. I’m glad that I was able to give these children a summer to remember. My supervisor for this program included Joanna Martin, Anna Maria Artega and Ryan Spooner.

I learned a lot from participating in this program. I was able to gain more citizenship skills that I will be able to use throughout the rest of my life. Also, I was able to pick up on different communication skills because of the variety of different languages that were spoken. I was given the opportunity to experience a lot of diversity which taught me a lot about different cultures and ways of living. It was an eye opening experience that taught me to appreciate the things I have because there’s always someone out there that has it harder than you.

This was definitely a worthwhile experience that I not only enjoyed, but also learned a lot from. I can’t wait to volunteer again this coming summer, and hopefully I will be able to get more programs and activities planned to give the children a summer to remember. I want the best for these kids, so knowing that I can help to give them an amazing summer for them to enjoy really makes me proud. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who has an interest in working with children, human studies, and helping those who are less fortunate. Although I do not plan to do similar work in my future career, for now it is just a learning experience that I enjoy.