In Mrs.Mowry’s Spanish1 class, we were assigned to create a Diamante poem in Spanish about ourselves, someone close to us or about someone who has been influential in our life, using Spanish adjectives from Chapter 1B. For this project we referred back to our Spanish notes taken in class and also used different crafts to help design the poem in a creative way, such as construction paper, scissors and glue. Student could also use Microsoft Office to type their poems. This project was to help students practice gender agreements between nouns and adjectives and to hit the following standards, FLL1.2 understands and interprets, FLL 1.3 presents info to class and FLL3.1 connects to English poetry. I created a Diamante poem referring to my older sister Rachel where I described her using all different Spanish adjectives using seven lines to form a diamond shape. Some things I struggled with included finding the right adjectives to describe my sister and also forming the diamond shape. I did very well in using my creativity to design and decorate the rest of the diamond shape, using pictures, stickers and funky scissors to create a unique cut around the diamond. If I could do this project again, I would make sure to place my words better to form a more even diamond shape, and to also add more pictures to create a better effect on the poem.

Standards Assesed:

•  FLL1.2 understands and interprets
  • FLL 1.3 presents information to class
  •  FLL3.1 connects to English poetry

For the Diamante poem, I received a grade of 90. I scored very well in creativity, vocabulary and grammar, grammar agreements, content and presentation. However the one thing I lost points in was pronunciation. Based off of my teachers comments I need to work on my pronunciation of ella and veces.  If I could do anything differently, I would have practiced speaking the poem more at home before presenting and have a friend or parents give me pointers as to which words I should work on pronouncing. My teachers comments helped me self-access, because now I know what area I should work harder/practice more before future presentations.  My future goal is to work on my fluency before presenting projects to the class so I do not lose points in that section of the speaking assessment.