Jackie Flaherty

English 10

Mrs. Byrne

April 29, 2013

English Independent Reading Reflection

In my English 10 class, students were assigned an independent reading project to complete for the semester. Our teacher gave us a list of books that we were able to choose from. I chose to read the novel “Water for Elephants”, by Sarah Gruen. Throughout reading the novel, students were required to complete twenty-five double journal entries, where we picked a quote from the story and then wrote a brief summary on what the quote meant and our opinions on it. After finishing our novels and double journal entries, our teacher assigned us a project to complete in order to sum up our independent reading. Students were able to choose from multiple projects such as making a movie, play list, monologue or scrap book. I chose to do the scrapbook. My novel was about a man named Jacob Jankowski who goes to live with the circus after his parent’s sudden death in a car accident. There he works and takes care of the animals and also meets Marlena, who he falls in love with. My scrap book is of Jacob’s life living in the circus and shows all the animals and people he meets.  Throughout this project I enjoyed reading the book because it’s all about how Jacob takes care of the animals and since I am an animal lover, it quickly caught my interest. My strengths throughout this project would be gathering all of my materials and putting together another person’s life in a scrap book. It was a very fun and interesting project that I enjoyed very much. One of my weaknesses would have been trying to figure out which order the events took place in his life, so that my scrapbook matched up with the story.

Standards Assesed:

• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.9-10.10 By the end of grade 10, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, at the high end of the grades 9-10 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.9-10.10 Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences.

For my independent reading project I received a 100. I agree with this grade because I worked very hard on not only my project but also in completing my journal entries that were assigned. For the independent reading project I chose to do the scrap book. I used different materials that I purchased at Michael's craft store, including stickers, paper and a scrap book. I also used many images from Google that I had printed out at Rite Aid. I worked very hard on this project and put many hours into completing it. I believe that it came out very well in the end and I’m glad that my teacher recognized my hard work and gave me a perfect score of 100. I enjoyed this project very much because it let me show my true creativity and I got to do it on a book I loved.

Pictures of Project: 

jackie english2.docx

jackie english1.docx