Great White- Acrylic Paint on paper

For this assignment, the junior visual class had to make an analytical cubism of a still life provided in the middle of the room. Mr. LeClair wanted us to have tight edges to our work, use two different base tones, to treat each section as if it was its own painting, and give all the sections highlight and shadow. Tools that I used for this project were paint brushes, a dark red paint, light green paint, white paint, and a milkshake glass cup with a tiny teacup under it for the still life. The process of this assignment started off by sketching the still life using the hand opposite of our dominate hand. After that step was finished, the painting piece by piece has to be individually filled in using light and darks mixed with the base colors. Some strengths I had were choosing the based colors, giving all the pieces a highlight and shadow, and had tight edges dividing each section. The one weakness I made was not all of the lines on the milkshake cup with straight and I did not notice that until the last day before critic. From now on, I will make sure I step back a couple feet to look at the work from far away, so next time I do not make the lines crooked. Overall, my project was successful since I did all of the requirements, I challenged myself with difficult colors trying to make red and green not resemble Christmas, and found a new painting style that I enjoy.

For this assingment, I received an 94. Based on my teacher’s assessment and comments, I would not do anything differently since, I did what I was told and is proud of my work. Mr. Leclair’s comments helped me realize that I enjoy the style analytical cubism. My future goals for improvement are, to challenge myself with colors that resemble something and to keep working on pieces with the style analytical cubism.