Sloth acrylic painting on canvas

The project I made was an inverted color landscape of a beach in Maine. To simplify, the picture I used had a lot of white and blue. In addition, the photograph had so much flow, which was perfect for impressionism; another requirement for this project. However, the materials I used for this piece were 18” x 24” construction paper, pencil, pastels, color wheel, and a ballscript.

Flow and complementary colors were my focuses and I was successful in this following procedure. One, I picked a photograph full of color and movements taken by a friend named Destinee Mackey. Two, sketched a light outline of the landscape on the construction paper. Three, created a color wheel by lightly sketching a circle in a circle tour, loosely used the complementary colors in both circles. Four, loosely used the complementary color based on the picture. Five, continued the piece by using the complementary concept; when there was blue in the picture, the piece replaced it with orange, same with purple replaced yellow, red replaced green and white replaced black. Six, I scraped details in the black pastel making it white. Lastly, I put my signature at the bottom right corner of my piece.

This project made me realize multiple things. First, how much of each color is in the picture that I did not notice before the project. Second, acknowledged the flow of the landscape. Three, that artwork does not have to be exact. In the future, I hope to work on more landscapes with flow and projects with inverted colors.

For visual claas, I created a piece called 'soulless touch' and used colored pencils. I really enjoyed how I could picture what I wanted the piece to look like instead of using a reference.